PENTAGON CITY, VA – Friday the thirteenth has been a bad day for Canadian trade negotiators.POTUS is on a roll – the builder of magnificent (if garish) buildings should never be allowed to play with the wrecking ball or the explosives.In the last few days he has:
- pulled the U.S. out of the United Nations Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO);
- tried to put Congress' feet to the fire on Obamacare; and
- “fixed” the Iran Nuclear Agreement with stricter monitoring and tossed it back to Congress.
- The NAFTA 5 year sunset clause provision has been tabled.
- So have the sweeping U.S. demands on dairy to allow U.S. competitors to review and approve Canadian regulation. The market access demands on dairy products are yet to come – and when they do could include other supply-managed products and wine.
- The new Automotive Rules of Origin are upon us. The U.S. would want the changes introduced on a fast track. Everything Trump wants is on a fast track – why not phase-in the changes?